Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Oh, Let it Snow!

Today there was frost on the car! As Sean said - "Jack Frost visited!" I think he did -- just in time to say, "It's the first day of December. Let's get winter-ish."

This poem by Robert Frost is one of my childhood favorites...I love how it conveys that feeling of a peace a snowy day brings...it's that rare feeling of true quiet. A blanket of snow (especially in the South!) forces us to take it easy...to slow down. There's nothing quite like freezing outside while you're throwing snowballs and then sitting inside with hot chocolate and a view of a natural wonderland. I am wishing wishing wishing for snow this Christmas....

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"

-Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

And in the spirit of wishing, let me introduce you to the wonderful Bing Crosby.

No comments: