Monday, November 30, 2009

Welcome, December

This is the season that means the most to me -- and so, every year, I am amazed and a little sad when it zooms by me. It's too easy to get caught up in the preparations of the physical things (the presents, the plays, the cookies, the decorations) that we don't have time for the inside things that give all those other things meaning!
So, in spite of the fact that this blog has been neglected for so long, I'm going to take a little time every day to share my thoughts, my favorite readings, my favorite music....I'm going to take a minute or two to hold onto the essence of this Christmas season.

And what do I love about Christmas? I love everything from Charlie Brown's search for the perfect tree to molasses-spice cookies to that commercial where the M&M and Santa both pass out at the sight of each other....I love the magic of lights gleaming in the darkness and the fun of decorating cookies with the kids....I love the music!....I love finding gifts that will bring smiles to faces of people that I love...I love the old movies and the hope of snow...I love the anticipation....I love going to see Santa and watching kids either freak out or stare in awe....I love all of this and more...
...most of all, I love that this is the season to remember Hope. To me, all of the twinkling lights represent the Light that came to us so long ago....a Light that has neither dimmed nor changed. The world is dark. It's crazy and scary and, more than ever, it's in need of peace....but let this wonderful quote from Madeleine L'Engle remind you:

"His coming to us as a human child, in total weakness, was the greatest act of warfare against the powers of hate and chaos that I know. And if I, too, am to fight in this battle, it is from his weakness that I must draw my strength."

He was meek, humble, and gave Himself for us...he showed us how to love. He gave us reason to hope. He gave us miracles and wonders and a glimpse of God...


This is the irrational season
When love blooms bright and wild.
Had Mary been filled with reason
There'd have been no room for the child.
-M. L'Engle
This is the irrational season, and, oh, how I love not being bound by human limitations and fears!...if ever, this is the time to expect miracles, to plunge into pure faith, to believe in hope and in peace, to give love...to give of yourself...this is the irrational season and you never know when you'll be the light in someone's darkness.

No comments: