Friday, July 28, 2006

A Few Quotes From A Favorite

Some words from a woman I admire whole heartedly for her ability to write beautiful stories that echo gracefully of her faith - Madeleine L'Engle.


"Artistic temperament sometimes seems a battleground, a dark angel of destruction and a bright angel of creativity wrestling."


"In the evening of life we shall be judged on love, and not one of us is going to come off very well, and were it not for my absolute faith in the loving forgiveness of my Lord I could not call on him to come. "


"Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it."


"That's the way things come clear. All of a sudden. And then you realize how obvious they've been all along."


"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."


"When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have grown quite fond of Madeleine L'Engle. Her book "Walking on Water" is an absolute read for anyone wanting to write.

Anonymous said...

I wandered around the blogosphere and ended up here briefly...thought you might enjoy a little series of posts about writing and motherhood at my blog. I, too, quote from Madeleine in one of them, and as I look at some of your other posts, I think you may relate to her words. The series is interrupted by unrelated posts, but they're mostly titled Writing in the Midst of Motherhood, Pt 1 (2, and 3 and a 4 is coming, with a quote from Barbara Kingsolver).

What with you quoting Madeleine and Buechner, I guess I was feeling a little kindred-spirity when I visited here, which is to explain this long comment.