Friday, January 01, 2010

The Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall

2010. I'm looking into the new year and there's a lot I'm hoping to see happen...there are high stakes ahead.
And I can't stop thinking about this documentary I watched the other day...it was all about the Berlin Wall -- the timeline of its creation and of its destruction. It was fascinating to hear about the people who watched this huge barricade appearing...day by day, they were either being shut in or shut out even more. They watched their home become a prison. At first, they could still see through to other side -- waving at old friends or loved ones...but, eventually, there was nothing to be seen but armed guards and ugly walls.
Oddly, this strange historical story makes me think of someone in my life. There's a person who is dear to my heart and this person is going through an addiction of sorts...and as the days go by, it feels like more and more cement is poured and barbed wire added to the wall already between us. We can still wave -- we can still hear each other -- but it's getting more and more difficult. And I'm so afraid that one day I'll wake up and find that the barricade is too high, that I won't be able to get through without underground tunnels and the speed to dodge bullets...in the meantime, all I can do is wait. Wait and send notes to the other side so that they'll know I'm still here. Still waiting.
I'm not sure why I'm writing about this here...except that, maybe, I never before knew how lonely it is to watch someone isolate themselves like this. I never knew the helpless feeling...the chronic worry and pain....and if you happen to be reading this and you have your own Berlin Wall going on...just know that you're not alone. You're not alone in the waiting for...I don't know....healing, peace, a miracle....and if there's any resolution worth keeping this year, it's to keep hoping. Because, eventually, the Berlin Wall came tumbling down....with all of my heart, I'm waiting to see the walls in my life fall...and I hope that yours do, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!